TMJ Disorders

The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the most frequently used joint. Each time you open and close the mouth, swallow, speak or yawn, you are using your TMJs.

The TMJs are synovial joints with an articular disc.

TMJ disorders not only affect your teeth but can also create headaches, neck or spine problems. You can experience pains in the ears, throat, neck or shoulders.
Sometimes you can hear articular noises. In fact, a lot of symptoms can be associated to a TMJ disorder: clenching, grinding, dizziness, numbness of the skin of the face, dry mouth, eye discomfort, trigeminal neuralgia, etc…

In fact only 20% of TMJ disorders come from a dental problem. The rest (80%) is related to the skull, the muscles, the cervical vertebrae or bad body posture. Therefore the solution to a TMJ disorder is often found when the dentist and the osteopath work together.

The dentist will make sure that the teeth are well aligned and that the mouth closes well.
The osteopath will take care of the muscle restrictions, the freedom of movement in the skull sutures, the freedom of the vertebrae and more generally of the entire body.